Monday 19 March 2012

$118.82

Again it has been a while since I have posted, but amazingly, I have hardly purchased anything for myself in the last 6 weeks.  Well, that isn't entirely true, as there have been some caveat purchases, but I will get to that.

First off though, I bought a small cotton bag for $7 at an awesome independent theatre that my dad and I saw a movie at in Tucson.  I wanted to support them - it was a cool place.  As such, with having received all of my moving boxes, I realize how many of these reusable cotton bags I actually have - way more than I need - so lots of those that I don't have any sentimental attachment to are going in the garage sale/donation box.

I also got a reusable cup for $4.99.  There is more to this cup (pictured below) and it has been the subject of a few rants of mine.

Okay, so this is actually the second one of these cups I have gotten, which is annoying.  I bought it in the first place because I have been drinking quite a lot of tea and it made sense for a number of reasons - I can take it with me to the coffee shop to save them giving me disposable ones and I can make my own tea, saving me money.  BUT, the first one was kind of rubbish - it leaked all over me all the time!! That wasn't going to work.

So then I was forced to decide - do I want to take it back to get another one, thus supporting the production of a poor product that is NOT actually helping save the planet any?  As a matter of spite, I did, because I also want the shop to know that the product they are selling is not of high enough quality.  Then, they offered to trade me a new one (now on sale for a dollar cheaper, thus I got $1.08 back!) and I figured, 'Well, I still want the cup and if it does actually work, then it is hopefully doing its job.'  Thus, this is the second one, and definitely the last - I will not get another one if this one doesn't work!

The irony of it all is sort of laughable, hence why I had to take a picture with the 'Eco-Cup' label on display.  And it is a lesson to me again - when trying to save money and buy less, it might still be worth shelling out a bit more money to get a better product that will actually last, versus the cheaper one that is going to be unusable after a fraction of the time!!

As for the other purchases, I did buy some running stuff, but I will leave the shoes in the 'needs' category, but count the clothes, which was $44.10.  Running stuff is so hard for me!!  I also bought a sweatshirt to support a friend's clothing line they are launching - I am not counting it, though I probably should, but I wouldn't have bought it if it weren't for wanting them to succeed.  Plus, the sweatshirt itself is from a socially and environmentally responsible company, which I also want to support - it is super comfy too.  I told my friend too, in hopes that they continue using them!

No comments:

Post a Comment